Last night Brian's grandfather, Earl Shaw, passed away. He was 89 years old and ready to meet the Lord. I only knew him 11 years, but he was a good man. He was living by himself and kept a garden until about 8 months ago when he had a stroke and then he just was not the man with the spunk that we knew.
I knew he didn't grow up going to church, but didn't know he didn't start going until my mother in law was about 7 or 8. He met Madeline, his late wife, at a tent revival that him and a friend went to to make fun of the holy rollers. My mother in law said, him and his brothers typically went to the bars after work and drank, but one day he could not remember things and decided that was not the life he should be leading. My mother in law said it was a hard change for him to be a God fearing man, but he did. He had some tattoos that he got while in the navy and I remember asking several times what they were, you could not make them out very well, and he would never tell me and just say"the stupidest things I did." He was always busy doing something-gardening, clearing land, or playing dominos with friends. He really enjoyed spoiling his great grandkids that live close him-you always get ice cream at Grandpa Earl's house even if you didn't eat your dinner. He was a man that served people at church and had many friendships there. His wife, Madeline, died 9-10-2001 and ever since then he has been waiting on the Lord to take him home and he finally got his wish.
We will miss him even though we were not that close to him-he was just a fun character to be around and would tell stories. When Brian and I got married he told us " I hope you have grandkids one day that make you come to Texas in the heat of August and watch them get married." I don't think he liked driving all that way in the heat. He always had a good hug for you.
Here are a few pictures I could find with my kids and Earl. I know we have more recent ones, but just can't track down where they are.
It was the last of our grandparents to leave this Earth. I am glad that God took him when he did and he didn't have to live like he was for long. We will miss you!!



No comments:
Post a Comment